Nunasi Helicopters A-Star at a right water meeting. Taloyoak, 2000.

Language Proficiency Requirements for Foreign-Trained Applicants

Canada has two official languages, English and French. In most provinces and territories English is the main official language. In the provinces of Ontario and New Brunswick both English and French are official languages, and in the province of Quebec, French is the official language.

Therefore, language proficiency between English and French depends on where the FTLS will settle in the country.

Every FTLS making an application to become a Canadian land surveyor must provide the results of the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment 1 or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) 2 which measures the language proficiency of people who want to study or work where English is used as a language of communication. Or the French equivalent.

For Québec, four different tests are recognized. For other provinces, the federal government French test will be accepted.

Tests Results

For the Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL) Assessment, a minimum score of 65 is required.
For the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), a minimum score of 6.5 is required.